The Capsule is a staple part that allows control over spacecraft. It has good aerodynamics and is currently only available in a small size. The capsule can carry 1 astronaut.
It has a stronger torque than a Probe, which makes controlling a rocket with a capsule faster to rotate.
- The capsule was the first part added to the game.
- It's most likely inspired by the capsule used in NASA's Mercury, Gemini and Freedom missions. In real life, the capsule does not have a reaction wheel to produce torque. The astronauts could have spun around inside it, but it would likely have produced less than a specialized reaction wheel (depending on power).
- The lowest layer of tiles now have attachment points on the side, unlike the other three layers of tiles.
- The Capsule's description says that it holds one astronaut. In real life, it can hold 4, 7 or even 13 astronauts at once.
- The top of the Capsule is designed to join to the 2×1 docking port and parachute without overhangs, for optimal aerodynamics.
- Within the files the capsule with the heat shield is referred to as
CapsuleNewwhile the capsule with no heat shield is referred to as just
- A capsule with a top parachute on it is called a Capsule + Parachute.
- You can customize your capsule's skin by putting a 10t fuel tank on it, and putting it with a parachute on top. It can also be put with RCS Thrusters, so you can control your capsule's fuel.
- Prior to 1.4, the Capsule had what looked like an ablative heat shield on its bottom, and when the part was re-textured in 184.108.40.206, the heat shield was added back, but brighter than the original. In 1.5.3, the heat shield then separated from the capsule.
- In older versions of the game, the capsule used to be 4 blocks tall. On 1.35 it was 5 blocks tall, on 1.5 it returned to 4 blocks tall, at 220.127.116.11, it was 4 1/2 blocks tall, and as of now it is returned to 4 blocks tall.
- On 1.35, the part was renamed the "Command Module", but is now renamed back to "Capsule".
|Basics||Parachute • Capsule • Heat Shield • Separator • Fuel Tanks • Hawk Engine • Valiant Engine • Kolibri Engine • RCS Thrusters • Side Separator • Aerodynamic Nose Cone • Landing Leg|
|6 Wide||6 Wide Aerodynamic Nose Cone • Fuel Tanks • Separator • Heat Shield • Engine Base|
|8 Wide||8 Wide Aerodynamic Nose Cone • Fuel Tanks • Separator • Heat Shield • Engine Base|
|10 Wide||Fuel Tanks • Separator • Heat Shield • Engine Base|
|12 Wide||Fuel Tanks • Separator • Heat Shield • Engine Base|
|Engines||Hawk Engine • Valiant Engine • Kolibri Engine • Titan Engine • Frontier Engine • RCS Thrusters • Ion Engine|
|Aerodynamic Parts||Parachute • Side Parachute • Aerodynamic Nose Cone • Aerodynamic Fuselage|
|Other||Docking Port • Landing Legs • Ion Engine • Probe • RCS Thrusters • Wheels • Solar Panel • Fuel Pipe|
|Currently removed in Version 1.5|
|Battery • RTG|