The Capsule is a staple part that allows control over spacecraft. It has good aerodynamics and is currently only available in a small size (4 wide or basic wide).
It has a stronger torque than a Probe, which makes controlling a rocket with a capsule faster to rotate. The torque of a ship is the sum of that of the capsules and probes it has.
- The capsule was the first part added to the game.
- It's most likely inspired by the capsule used in NASA's Mercury, Gemini and Freedom missions. In real life, the capsule does not have a reaction wheel to produce torque. The astronauts could have spun around inside it, but it would likely have produced less than a specialized reaction wheel (depending on power).
- The lowest layer of tiles now have attachment points on the side, unlike the other three layers of tiles.
- The Capsule's description says that it holds one astronaut. In real life, it can hold 4, 7 or even 13 astronauts at once.
- The top of the Capsule is designed to join to the 2×1 docking port and parachute without overhangs, for optimal aerodynamics.
- Within the files the capsule with the heat shield is referred to as
CapsuleNewwhile the capsule with no heat shield is referred to as just
- A capsule with a top parachute on it is called a Capsule + Parachute.
- You can customize your capsule's skin by putting a 10t fuel tank on it, and putting it with a parachute on top. It can also be put with RCS Thrusters, so you can control your capsule's fuel.
- Prior to 1.4, the Capsule had what looked like an ablative heat shield on its bottom, and when the part was re-textured in 188.8.131.52, the heat shield was added back, but brighter than the original. Reentry has not yet been added, so it's intended to be aesthetic.
- In older versions of the game, the capsule used to be 4 blocks tall. On 1.35 it was 5 blocks tall, on 1.5 it returned to 4 blocks tall, and as of 184.108.40.206 it is 4 and a half blocks tall.
- On 1.35, the part was renamed the "Command Module", but is now renamed back to "Capsule".
- In the reentry update (possibly), the capsule will get a smooth texture, and the heat shield will be now a separate part from the capsule, like from 1.4 - 1.5 version. It's not sure when the update would come.